Thursday, May 5, 2011

Yoga of Non-Injury will set you free



Ahimsa: The Yoga of Non-Injury will set you free
"If there is one yoga practice that leads to Self-Realization, it is non-injury or ahimsa." -Yoga Master Swami Satchidananda. Imagine, as John Lennon said, what a world it would be if there were no wars and no suffering. How cool it would be if we could set just one day aside each year when we all stop causing pain and focus on harmlessness. A day when peace is more important than all our differences.

On the Death of Osama bin Laden
Barbara O'Brien (About.com Guide
May 2, 2011)
After I learned of the death of Osama bin Laden this morning I took inventory of my emotions. I was in lower Manhattan during the September 11 attacks, so I suppose I have as much reason as anyone to feel something about the death of the man thought to be most responsible.But I just felt sad, for all the deaths, all the suffering, caused by anger and ignorance. I briefly flipped on the television and saw a crowd of jubilant people chanting USA! USA! This depressed me even more; I turned the television off. In coming, nothing is gained; in going, nothing is lost. Those are words I have heard at Zen memorial services...
photo
It rained half an hour ago. A slight drizzle left the flag stones wet. Huge ponderous clouds hung over the hilltown of Tawang. The yellow roofed monastery sat on top of a hillock at 3,400 meters. It can accommodate 500 monks. They are Gelugpa sect, the gentler Monpa tribe. Two monks were on duty and there were no tourists in sight. The lamasery courtyard slopes with a library on the west, a museum on the south, and the sanctum sanctotum facing north. The east side the valley drops down. Over the small yellow roofs of the monks' quarters flush with the sloping hill side, the Tawang valley is laid out.

No comments: